Friday, May 27, 2011

Cow News

Frankly, news like this gets my Irish up. Seven people in Texas are facing animal cruelty charges for using hammers and pickaxes to kill cattle. To be honest, I don't like to think too much about the fact that at one time my hamburger looked like this:



(If I'm being entirely candid, it's usually a week or so before I can eat beef after seeing an image like that.) I certainly am not okay with the knowledge that somewhere along the line the people in charge of handling that future quarter-pounder decided that expediency or, worse still, cruel amusement were of greater importance than humane compassion.

I realize that it is in some sense natural to become cavalier when you have such total power over something whose purpose is reduced in large part to death at the service of our needs. Nevertheless, we have a Creator who is a constant example to us of the perfect marriage of total power and simultaneous love such that I find it inexcusable that we should be deliberately cruel in executing our rights over animals.

At least some people have a more constructive view of and respect for animals, no matter how nutty.

No comments:

Post a Comment